Bali's 9 Key Directional Temples That Face a Variety of Mountains, Lakes or Oceans
Uluwatu Temple also named Pura Luhur Uluwatu, Bali’s southernmost key directional temple, is majestically situated on a 75 meter high steep cliff in Pecatu Village (Badung District), about a one hour trip away from the very well-known Kuta area.
Pura Luhur Uluwatu dates back to the 11th century, (Warmadewa Dynasty from the 10th to the 14th centuries).
Two legendary, religious characters are connected to Uluwatu Temple.
- Empu Kuturan – A talented Javanese shrine builder who got the order to add several shrines to Uluwatu Temple.
- Dangh Hyang Nirartha – A priest, travelling all over the island to build shrines, finally ending up at Pura Luhur Uluwatu to add Padmasana Shrines to the Uluwatu Temple and to carve a special stone as a resting place for the gods.
Even if it is not in the best condition anymore Uluwatu Temple is simply a magnificent place. Below the cliff, the ocean demonstrates nature’s forces and the view is absolutely stunning. You and your kids will love the monkeys as they are willing to interact with you. Around 6pm you will have the chance to watch a spectacular Balinese Dance performance (for an extra charge), the Fire Kecak Dance. You will experience an adorable sunset and finally the place is free of pushy sellers, making a visit to Uluwatu Temple extremely relaxing.
Bali's 9 key directional temples are:
- Purah Besakih (Mother Temple), located on the western slopes of Gunung Agung in East Bali
- Pura Lempuyang (Lempuyang Temple), located on the slopes of Gunung Lempuyang, near Amlapura in East Bali
- Pura Luhur Batukaru (Batukaru Temple), located on the southern slopes of Gunung Batukaru in Central Bali
- Pura Luhur Uluwatu (Uluwatu Temple), located on the western end of the Bukit Peninsula
- Pura Ulun Danu Batur (Batur Temple), located in Kintamani on the Eastern Highlands
- Pura Goa Lawah (Bat Cave Temple located on the main road near Padangbai in East Bali
- Pura Andakasa (Andakasa Temple), located on the summit of Mount Andakasa
- Pura Puncak Mangu (Puncak Mangu Temple), located on the top of Mount Catur, 2096 meters above sea level
- Pura Pusering Jagat (Pusering Jagat Temple), located in the center of Bali, close to Gianyar city.
- Tip 1: Please be aware of thieving monkeys. They especially like sunglasses, cameras and caps.
- Tip 2: The area around Uluwatu Temple is very popular with professional surfers as it is the place for a very well-known annual surf competition and it offers nice beaches.
- Tip 3: The traffic in the early evening can get really busy, especially on Friday’s. In case you don’t want to see the sunset at Pura Luhur Uluwatu (probably you want to enjoy a romantic sunset dinner at Jimbaran Beach, which you have to pass anyway on your way back), make sure you leave in plenty of time.
- Additional information 1: Uluwatu consist of two Words.
- Ulu = beginning
- Watu = Stone
Uluwatu temple finally means: Cliff Situated Temple